[games_access] Auditory Mapping in Games

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 09:59:24 EDT 2017

Hello,

In this data set the focus is on navigation. The POIs in a list would be in
a list based system similar to Crafting Kingdom. The maps on the IPhone use
this system for navigation. (all GPSes for blind people that I know of use
this method actually).

This is just one approach and has some major limitations, not least of
which is that the data needs to be presented in the user’s language,
otherwise the map is completely unusable.

Thus saying, list based systems are incredibly useful, especially in
combination with other systems (see every audio game on that list). Menus
in games are all list based. Menus have their uses, but you would not have
the same experience playing a first-person shooter exclusively using a menu
that you would using a first-person 3D map.

Also, I made these map names up. Are their official terms people know of
for these different maps?

For example:

First-person 3D is like what is in Morrowind, where you are the person and
everything is from your perspective.

Grid Based is basically a spreadsheet, or what dungeon based games have (I
think).

First Person Grid I think would be if you combined Morrowind with Packman.
It is a version of first-person 3D, but with no 3D audio or ability to move
in more than 4 directions.

Arcade Scroller is like racing games where you follow a road.

I don’t know if there is any real correlation between visual and audio maps
(being able to see over walls is only available in grid based, for example)
and I don’t think one can really have an audio platformer like Mario in
audio. I also don’t think one could have a game like Entombed visually
(even though it is hands down one of the easiest modes for blind people to
pick up).

Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>