[MacLoggerContest] Contest coverage and configuration

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Sun Feb 6 18:26:08 EST 2005

So this thread is about achieving a really easy way to specify contest
configuration which enables the widest scope of contests to be covered
(since people don't want to have to use a different logger for
particular events) but at the same time makes it simple for people to
say I want to work XYZ contest and the set-up is done for them as far
as possible...

Again to start things off ...

1) Can we achieve an all-bands contest logger in one insanely great
app?   VHF/UHF/Microwave contesting is very different to HF contesting
and AFAIK most existing software targets the two with separate
applications.  However there are a lot of common aspects between the
two categories of events and although more complex to design, I would
encourage us to at least initially aspire to cover the needs of both
types of contester within one app.  However I do think this is a
classic area of where typical Mac software design philosophy can help
to allow the things irrelevant to each category of event to be hidden
from users as they use the other.   If you only do one sort of
contesting, you may not be too concerned about comment on this point
but spare a thought for those who do both and perhaps would like to
achieve consistency and seamlessness whichever weekend (hence event) it
is!

2) International scope.  It would be good to allow a new insanely great
contesting app to cater for as many people as possible and that means
providing the flexibility to cope with localisation - this has a number
of related aspects ...

a) Some contests are only popular in Europe or the USA but not both.
Some are only applicable to some areas (e.g. VHF contests in USA or
Europe!)  By supplying reference files of data for as many different
areas as possible (I think I can help here from a European perspective)
we can make the appeal of the app as wide as possible.

b) Some contests have different objectives and requirements on the
operators logging according to where the entrant is located.   e.g. in
the ARRL DX contests I send a different set of information to that
which I receive, being outside the USA and given the fact my objective
in this case is different - to work only US stations - so the logging
program should help me here by checking prefixes of stations I try to
log for example.    Whereas in other contests such as CQWW, everyone
works everyone and exchanges the same information.  By addressing both
of these top level types we immediately cater for and support the
operator in the best way possible.

c) Some countries/areas have different bands (segments) available.  For
example, in the UK we have a whole series of contests on 4m (70MHz)
which other countries don't.   Similarly, I don't know if you guys over
the Pond have contests on 220MHz ? - a band that we simply don't have
over here.    It would be nice to ensure that we at least allow logging
on all the bands which people in different parts of the globe may need
- although again maybe by asking the user one question about station
location, the unnecessary/inapplicable  options could be hidden.

d) In different areas of the globe, within the same language, people
use different terminology for the same concepts.  This aspect is far
less important in my view but mentioned briefly for completeness.  One
example would be that in North America you often use "Grid squares"
(more important in VHF/UHF contesting) whereas over here in Europe
people use "Locator" to mean the same thing!   There are contests here
for example which use grid squares (e.g. WAB - worked all britain)
which are not the same as the international locator grid square system
:)   So just to be aware of these differences.

3) Configuring the exchange.   Consider these examples ...  One top
level contest type is whether the location of the stations contacted is
important.  For some events, just a report and serial number is
exchanged.   There may be no multipliers/bonuses or other scoring
complexities - simply a fixed number of points per accurately completed
QSO logged.   So no location or other information is important.   This
latter type of contest is important for the newer person to contesting
or those who want to keep it very simple.
Alternatively in other event types, there may be a whole number of ways
that the location of the station worked affects the score.   Typically
sub types of this mean that the score is affected by (a) the call
prefix of the station worked and/or (b) other information given in the
exchange (such as ITU zone, CQ zone, province, state, county etc.)
This scoring may be per band, per mode or per event as a whole.
Some events allow for other additional data to be exchanged for points
(e.g. fixed items such as name or age, complex QTC information in the
WAE DX events) and in others (e.g. RSGB Rotating Postcode events) the
information exchanged depends on the information received in the
previous QSO!
Doubtlessly, some of you will know of other events where additional
schemes which can't be fitted at all into the types described here are
required.  Please comment.

4)  Assuming we achieve the configuration of the contest in a typical
Mac style user friendly way, is there any worth in using standards to
specify and record these definitions of configurations?   I have been
discussing this aspect at length with Jack W6FB - and although
something like XML is an option, we have virtually concluded that this
would be overkill and of little value at this point in time.  Most
software currently uses its own file format.  I see the more important
aspect as how we make it easy for people to set up for XYZ contest
(i.e. the config files are supplied but details hidden from user
selection) and also allow new configurations to be defined and added to
the distribution as time goes on to accommodate rule changes and new
contest events.  Maybe initially at least, as many existing contest
loggers do, the latter aspect of changing and adding support for new
event types could be left to the software author in order that we don't
end up with lots of people all using some supplied config facility to
create similar but slightly different and to varying degrees untested
versions of the setup data files for the same contest :)
What do others think?

Please add other pre-contest aspects to this thread or new ones as
necessary.

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ