[MacLoggerContest] another contest logger for the mac

Michael K. Loukides mikel at oreilly.com
Sat Feb 26 18:53:05 EST 2005

I just joined the list; haven't seen loads of activity, though.

If someone wants to look at a contest logger that runs on the mac, try
my JL (www.qsl.net/w1jq).  It's free, it's written in Java.  I haven't
looked seriously at contest loggers for the UNIX world since I started
the JL project, so I don't know how it compares with the competition.
But it's nice, and it's fairly easy to use.  I've used in top-10
finishes in ARRL DX Phone '04 and (based on preliminary scores) CQWW
DX Phone '04, both SOAB LP.

It supports a fairly large number of contests and can be coerced into
working for most state QSO parties.  It incorporates a CW keyer and a
DVK (CW depends on the serial port, see below).  It also supports rig
control for Icom radios, also depending on the serial port.

I haven't yet tried to figure out serial port support on OS X.  I'd
appreciate someone who wants to give it a shot, though, and save me
the effort.  I think it can be done with a USB-serial interface (many
products available, including one from Microham) and the rxtx
implementation of the javax.comm interfaces (www.rxtx.org).  The rxtx
package has been compiled for OS X, and I've traded email with someon
who's used it successfully, but I haven't tried yet.  And I admit I'd
appreciate it if someone would do the work for me.

There are a lot of things it doesn't support yet:
* It doesn't support M-M at this point.
* It doesn't support DX clusters.
* It doesn't support SO2R

MM support is something I'd very much like to add... though I've spent
a couple of years trying to think it through, and haven't decided how
to do it.  DX cluster support is something I'll probably add fairly
soon.  I'm inching my way towards SO2R--I now have the 2R, but I don't
have the 2Ant--and I have no idea what sort of software support this
would require.

Anyway, take a look, see if you like it.  Again, www.qsl.net/w1jq.

Mike Loukides, W1JQ