[MacLoggerContest] Any other topics?

K1GQ K1GQ at kc1xx.com
Mon Feb 28 13:10:41 EST 2005

Hi Don,

On 2005 Feb 28, at 12:48, Don Agro wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> On 28-Feb-05, at 12:31 PM, Don Agro wrote:
>
>> Ummm - actually, what you said was :
>
> Not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that there
> seems to be a big difference between the single ops who work contests
> from home, and the club contesters.

Yes, big difference, in that the multi-ops need everything that the
single-ops need (except perhaps SO2R), and a lot more.  At the same
time, the larger multi-ops need so many computers, and their software
is so unstable, that they tend to use very old hardware and fear to
modify "working" configurations.

> Aside from the obvious networking and shared database issues do you
> think the differences run deeper ?

 From the user's perspective I think that there is little difference.

> Do the PC programs handle the difference well or would it be better to
> have a single and multi version of MLC ?

I am very familiar with one PC program, CT, and not at all with any
others.  CT has one version that supports all the entry categories, and
from what I know of the program's architecture there would be little
reason to split it into more than one version.

Ummm, here's one thought: CT is entirely the work of one individual --
K1EA.  If it were more modular, others could perhaps help Ken maintain
and extend the software; that is not possible as it stands (we've
tried).  I'd love to participate in developing MLC, but modularity is
hard to do well. [In Real Life I develop data analysis software for
USAF customers using C++ and Python.]

   Bill