[MacLoggerContest] Top 5 features for MLC

Chuck Counselman ccc at space.mit.edu
Sat Mar 12 12:25:48 EST 2005

At 10:30 PM +0000 3/11/05, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:
>...I offer a draft top 5 features/characteristics of a possible
>initial MLC.... Please consider this initial attempt at a consensus

My humble comments:

>SETUP:
>...configurable...for any contest....  Full support for all popular
>national and international contests..., HF, VHF and UHF....

Sure.  Sine qua non, IMO.

>ENTRY/EDITING OF QSOs:
>- Fast entry of required contest logging fields through a
>"bullet-proof" data entry routine.  Auto insertion of relevant data
>from radio connection (such as Band/Mode)....  Auto suggested data
>insertion (zones, area codes, reports, locators etc. as
>appropriate).  Entry includes the important aspect of editing a QSO
>easily and quickly.

Sure.  Sine qua non, IMO.

>CHECKING & INFO FOR OPERATORS:
>- Real-time checking (preferably as callsign characters are typed
>without touching other keys/buttons) of DUPLICATES...

Sure.  Sine qua non, IMO.

>...also country/band/locator/other multiplier analysis, beam
>headings, potential multiplier status)...

Sure.  Sine qua non, IMO.

>...plus re-scoring in real-time & continuous summary of scoring per
>band/mode/multipliers/etc.

IMO, real-time scoring (as opposed to accounting for multipliers) is
not essential in the initial MLC.  I could wait until a later release
for this.

>INTERFACES & STANDARDS:
>- Use of all existing "standard" file formats...

Sure.  Sine qua non, IMO.

>INITIAL BELL & WHISTLE:
>- A contest CW memory keyer

IMO this is a high priority and should be in the initial release.

>Other outside top 5:  (not in any order).
>
>- A facility to connect to a public/private DX cluster (either on
>the net or via RF/TNC) which highlights spots which are potential
>multipliers.

IMO this is a high priority and should be in the initial release,
especially as DX "cluster" connection is already a feature of MLDX.

<<<============[WHERE I'D DRAW THE LINE FOR THE INITIAL MLC]===========>>>

>- SO2R support for 2 radio operation

Defer.

>- Inbuilt contest voice "keyer" for CQ parrot calling.

Defer.

>- Multi-operator support for logging and statistical analysis of
>rates and mults etc.

Defer even further.  The market is smaller, first because there are
fewer multi-op stations, second because practically none of them use
Macintosh computers, and third because a multi-op station is much
less likely than an individual to switch to Macintosh.

>- Rendezvous support for Multi-multi operation over ethernet or
>airport networks.

Defer still further.  The market is still smaller.  I doubt that
you'll ever see a Multi-multi operation using Macintosh s/w.

>-  Integration with Apple's iChat for IM chat between operators in
>multi-multi situations, spotting stations etc.

Defer further yet.  The market is still smaller.

The best is the enemy of the good.  A good plan today is better than
a perfect plan tomorrow.  Let's define a feature set that is enough
for most of us, and to which Don will commit.

Don Agro and we users are in this boat together.  He needs a market
and we need his product.  To get past the chicken-and-egg problem,
perhaps Don and we can devise a way of sharing risk and working
together.

73 de Chuck W1HIS