[MacLoggerContest] 1st draft at consensus of top 5 MLC feature list priorities

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Sun Mar 13 04:15:44 EST 2005

Hi Jack,

On 13-Mar-05, at 12:24 AM, Jack Brindle wrote:

> We seem to be making feature selections by the perceived difficulty in
> implementation.

There have been some comments concerning features already existing in
MLDX etc. but this is not the way we should be selecting features.

> Many might be amazed that some features, such as voice playback are
> very easy to implement, and others far more difficult. I would suggest
> that implementation difficulty might be scored by the developers, then
> a fresh look at priority be made. Examples in my discussion below.

It's a bit early for that. At this point, I think only the impossible
should be ruled out - for example reverse engineering closed file and
packet formats and standards is just not reasonable (or dependable) for
the initial release - but 'difficult' is not a problem.

> Cabrillo is not optional. It is required for submission of contest
> entries for pretty much all major contests on this side of the pond.
> Without it a contest program is useless. I would put ADIF in the
> optional category, but it may be easy to drop it in from some other
> code piece. Developer?

Cabrillo and ADIF are open standards and well documented - and well
supported within MLDX.

>> INITIAL BELL & WHISTLE:
>> - A contest CW memory keyer
>
> There are two ways to do this. The first is to output a CW digital
> open collector/drain signal to key rigs. This requires rather precise
> timing within the Mac, something not very easy in a non-real time
> environment. Still, it can be done. Perhaps an existing drop-in
> facility can be used?

This is already done in MacLoggerDX - and Unix is Real Time within
reason - not really a problem.
At 32 wpm and assuming an average of 48 dit durations in a word a 'dit'
would be 1250 / 32 = 39.0625 milliseconds - not a difficult interval to
handle.

> The second method is to make use of the ASCII CW facility in many
> contemporary rigs. I would strongly urge the support of this - text to
> be transmitted is simply sent out the RS-232 port to the rig for it to
> encode and transmit.

Not all rigs support this and all in a different way - driver dependent
and impossible to fix if it's 'broken' in the radio. Now that is a
whole other discussion - what is an appropriate contest rig ? Do we
support them all ?

> An alternative to this is to adopt one or more of the various keyer
> systems, such as that from K1EL, which also provide the same service.
> Probably both should be implemented in the long run.

Within the MacLoggerDX user community - based on what I am hearing from
those that are using CW keying - most are using the software CW within
MLDX and the microHAM interfaces to their rigs - but these are
implementation details and to some extend driver dependent.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves - at this stage we just want to
know if CW and/or voice keying are essential in most contests.

> I would also move the SSB audio play system to this level. It is
> amazingly easy to implement. Creation of the audio files can be done
> with external applications such as Peak LE or the freeware Audacity. I
> would NOT add audio recording at this time unless the author
> understands the part of the QuickTime system. When audio recording is
> added, it should allow for the creation of contest exchange files as
> well as recording of contest audio from the radio(s).

Once again this is a much lower level implementation level issue - the
real question at this stage is how important is audio
recording/playback in a contest situation ? The playback/keying part is
already in MacLoggerDX and serves as an example for discussion.

If the consensus is that voice and CW keyers are essential, then at a
later time it might be useful to evaluate what is already in MLDX to
see if it is appropriate or not for the contest situation. I would
think that this would be a 2 part discussion - low level functionality
and UI/usability.

I realize that you are not a MLDX user Jack, and this is not a problem
- but you might want to take a look at the online documentation for the
purpose of discussion...
<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/MacLoggerDX_Manual.html>

Here is the page on the MacLoggerDX keyers...

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/cwkeyer.html>

There will be some code re-use between MLDX and MLC - but not a lot
since MLDX is PowerPlant-Carbon and MLC will be XCode Cocoa-Objective
C.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com