[MacLoggerContest] CabConverter

B. Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Sun Mar 13 08:48:28 EST 2005

Fellow MacLogger DX users:

I have been lurking on the list for some time and thought this might
be the right time to jump in. I have been quietly working on an
add-on for MacLogger DX called CabConverter that allows MLDX using
contesters to generate appropriate Cabrillo files.

I am announcing this effort with this message.

CabConverter is a stand-alone program and accepts an ADIF file
generated by MLDX as input and generates a Cabrillo file. Users
must supply information within CabConverter's GUI for things
like, name, call, email address, etc. These general things are
retained as preferences. Additionally, users will need to specify
the contest, operating category, additional category overlay
(tri-bander, rookie, etc.), along with power category and other
things for a particular contest.

Once you've done that, there's little left to do but select
the ADIF file holding your QSOs, give them a quick look within
the log browsing window, and generate your Cabrillo file for
submission.

There are a couple of things to note:
1. There is no such thing as a Cabrillo file standard. There
    are several file formats with different information captured
    in different columns. Each contest is a little different.
    Certainly, the scoring is different for each contest which
    leads us to point 2.

2. The assertion that "Scoring is pretty easy to do" (seen recently)
    has not matched my experience. Scoring is tedious and different
    for each contest.  Take the upcoming CQ WPX contest as an
    example. The value of a QSO depends on the country you're in,
    the country they're in, the continent you're on, the continent
    their on, and the band. Take it from me, there is a lot of
    typing to get a program to understand all that... especially
    when you're given nothing more than a call sign of variable forms
    such as AB1BL, AB1BL/4, AB1BL/J4, J4/AB1BL, and AB1BL/MM for
    AB1BL at home, in Georgia, in Aruba, also in Aruba, and
    marine mobile respectively. I've not even gotten to the point
    of talking about multipliers!

3. In order for CabConverter to work, the proper contest-specific
    information needs to be captured in some set form within each
    logged QSO entry. So, CabConverter users will need to see what
    CabConverter will need _before_ the contest begins.

4. Contests will be added one-at-a-time for a while. Corresponding
    PC programs that support 50 or 100 or 200 contest forms most
    likely didn't start that way on day-one. They probably grew
    one or two at a time, also.

Now, the important bits:

* How much will it cost?
   I'm not sure yet.

* When can I try it?
   I'm planning on having a very early snapshot version available
   this week so people can get used to it. I'm finishing off the
   logic to support the CQ WPX SSB contest now. Other recent
   contests are also supported (in case you've not submitted your
   Cabrillo file for those yet).

* What contests will it support?
   I do not have a concrete list yet but most of the HF contests
   supported by the ARRL and CQ folks will be included plus the
   other contests that I happen to be interested in such as
   New England QSO party, etc. I'll try to have a version of
   CabConverter done that supports a particular contest at least
   a week before that contest begins.

* Who can use it?
   The software will assume that you are in the continental US.
   For Canadian, Alaskan, and Hawaiian comrades, I can only give
   you my sincerest apology. Scoring in particular and the
   expected exchange is often different for "DX" stations and I'm
   currently concentrating on getting the software working for
   one class of user (CONUS).

I have had one very helpful and productive beta tester thus
far but could use a couple more. Volunteers may contact me
directly.

Finally, this is a background effort for me. I'm a ham. I
also have a job (a fairly demanding one, by the way!).
Don Argo has spoiled all of us with his world-class support,
and nearly dizzying ability to crank out high-quality
software quickly and repeatedly. Let me say this for the
record: I'm not Don. :-)

That said, I believe that you'll find CabConverter makes
contesting more fun. It has for me.

Thank you.

-- Scott (NE1RD)

B. Scott Andersen    | "Magic is real, unless declared integer."
bsandersen at mac.com   | -- The collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Acton, Massachusetts | Ham: NE1RD, QRP ARCI#11588, FP#-910