[MacLoggerContest] FKeyer -- an idea

Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Mon Dec 26 09:30:12 EST 2005

Fellow Macintosh-using hams,

I've been working on an idea for a CW contesting interface
that could be used in conjunction with MacLoggerDX (MLDX)
based on the interface experience of "Morse Runner". If
you are not familiar with Morse Runner, you can find it
here:

http://www.dxatlas.com/MorseRunner/

Alas, Morse Runner only runs under Windows, but VirtualPC
handles it nicely. You can see from the interface (pictured
on the main web page) that Function Keys F1-F8 are mapped
to common contesting functions like CQ, ?, AGN, TU, sending
the exchange (RST+SN), etc.

I have created a "sketch" of a program that has a similar
interface called "FKeyer". You can find it in my iDisk
public folder (user: bsandersen). It maps those functions
to the function keys and to cmd-keys (both).

FKeyer requires MacLoggerDX 4.2.2b2 (25-December-05)
available from http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html
Thanks go to Don Argo for making the changes to MLDX to
accommodate the contest exchange information through AppleScript.
Thanks, Don!

FKeyer will interface to a MicroHam CW Keyer (I've just ordered
mine), provide an interface appropriate for the CQ WW WPX contest
(and others that just exchange RST+SN), and post each logged QSO
to MDLX. [The MicroHam interface work is NOT done yet!]

For now, FKeyer just beeps (no MicroHam interface yet) so I can
get a feel for how it might look and behave. To try it:

1. Download the software from iDisk public area for bsandersen
2. Download the required MLDX version
3. Start FKeyer
4. Use the preferences to set your call, set CW speed
5. Press F1 or cmd-1 to hear CQ called with the "fake keyer"
6. Enter a callsign in the callsign area and press return
7. FKeyer will lookup the callsign with MLDX and send the exchange
    information to the other op (I have a "fake keyer" until I get
    the MicroHam unit).
8. Note that the ops name now appears in the FKeyer window
9. If you have a radio connected the radio type and frequency also
    now appear in the FKeyer window
10. The expected RST also appears in the FKeyer window
11. The other op sends you his exchange info. Type the serial
     number received into the Serial number box and press return
12. Thank you (TU) is sent and the QSO is logged into MLDX

Of course, there are lots of twists and turns that can happen
(hence the "?", "AGN", etc. buttons).

This is just an idea. I don't know if it is worthwhile. I am
looking for feedback. Specifically,

* Would you be interested in this?
* Is it a good idea but just too slow?
* Is it too limiting just to support RST+SN contests?
* Is it too distracting having MLDX and FKeyer pop back-and-forth?
* MLDX's contest helper window is hidden when MLDX is in the
   background. Does that make this idea unworkable?

I am not committing to finishing this. As I say, this is just
an idea. And, again, this is just a prototype that beeps (no
real radio/keyer interface yet) so it isn't good for anything
except to evaluate the UI ideas.

Feedback is welcome. Thank you for your time.

-- Scott (NE1RD)

B. Scott Andersen    | "Magic is real, unless declared integer."
bsandersen at mac.com   | -- The collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Acton, Massachusetts | Ham: NE1RD, QRP ARCI#11588, FP#-910