[MacLoggerContest] select vfo contol

Chris Harris chris.harris at horizon.co.fk
Sun Mar 26 21:13:36 EST 2006

Hi all,

It there an easy way to select the VFO control, I mean to make it
active so the it can be tuned with the arrow keys, by a simple key
stroke?

During the recent WPX contest I didn't feel like working pileups so
just did a bit of casual search and pounce. I found that this was
easy from the keyboard using left right arrow keys to tune by 5kHz
and if I heard something to fine tune with the arrow keys and
modifers. When I got a station tuned it was simply a matter of
hitting command+K to start entering the callsign. The pain was
getting back to the VFO, one the station was in the log or if he
moved frequency, as there doesn't seem to be a key-stroke for that -
maybe there is can anybody enlighten me?

I've been thinking of getting a powermate but the same issue would
apply, I think. I'd have to go from keyboard entry to mouse to (to
select the VFO control) to powermate. The problem is that all these
hand movements between input devices take time and if you are trying
to retune to follow a moving contact it can be too slow.

It's funny but if you are in old fashioned logbook mode it's easy to
tune the radio with one hand and write with the other. However when
computer logging you need both hands on the keyboard to be able to
keep up, well at least I do.

73 de Chris VP8BKF