[MacLoggerContest] re: MLDX for Cocoa

Jack jackspace at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 14:12:51 EDT 2006

This is great news Don!

It's tough to improve on an already awesome piece of software.  But we're hams, and so I guess evolving our craft is what it's all about.

Here are a couple items I would like to see in future versions (I apologize if I double with anyone else's requests):

- being able to do normal copy and pasting from/to either the TNC or DX Cluster windows

- keeping track of logs from previous callsigns.  For instance, I was DA2UI years ago.  I would like to pull in all my logs for that callsign into MLDX (because it really IS the best way to keep track of your QSOs). DXpeditioners may feel the same way.  I know this can be done, but only if a person logs into OS X as a different user.

- in the QSL window, being able to:
    - print multiple (up to four) cards per sheet
    - being able to place each printed field wherever you want on the card

- Under FILE, I think it would be useful to have an "EXPORT TO WEB" and it would create a fairly neat text-only HTML file with all your QSOs.  I think it's fun to find my callsign in an old log that was published to the web.  I know that exporting to CAB or ADIF gets us part of the way there.

- in MAP window, being able to view only selected QSOs (from the LOG window) on the map.

- more awards tracking:  1010, 3905, FISTS, Counties, or making it easy to create an API for these (perhaps there's already a way).

- Perhaps a button editor for the enu buttons in the CLuster and TNC windows.  I know I can edit the file with PICO (I'm a UNIX purist) and it will come out fine if you get all the Linefeeds and special characters just right.  But I think the average user would be delighted to have something linked right from the MLDX app to edit these.

- being able to control/track using CAT more than one rig

- for some reason, my log index begins at QSO#2.  There is no #001.  Anyway to reindex this?

- perhaps another field in the log denoting QSL received via LOTW or eQSL?

- in the Memories window, being able to scan a range rather than just singular frequencies

- I know that in the IOTA field, unless you remove the question mark preceding the IOTA number before you log the QSO, it simply won't log it.  I think it would be more convenient to have it log the IOTA number, but put it in brackets, or denote it some way until it has been confirmed by the operator

- OK this is pushing it:  a built-in web server add-on that would allow you to log your QSOs from any HTTPS capable web browser connected to the Internet.  Same thing with being able to send a specially formatted email with the QSO data and it would be automagically logged (because I operate from work sometimes but don't have my Mac with me).  This could even be a 'lite' java version of MLDX that would allow clubs or field day group operations to run from multiple platforms.  OK, I would even be in bliss if there was a PALM (or even better Zaurus) app that would be importable to MLDX!  I often go out on hikes and I'll take the Arrow Antenna (handheld dual-band yagi for 2m and 70cm) out and work stations via AO-51.  At present, I just jot them down on some paper, and then do it all by hand at home.  But hey, wouldn't it be nice to only enter something into the log once?  After all, we're using MLDX because it takes the tedium out of logging, right?  We want to get on the
 air!  :)

Thanks again Don for taking suggestions.  MLDX is a great piece of software and it's nice to see you continuing to evolve it.

72/73
Jack, K6JEB
www.k6jeb.com