[MacLoggerContest] Contest entry screen specification

David Ferrington, M0XDF M0XDF at Alphadene.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 18:24:56 EST 2009

Ok, macloggercontest it is. As I said to Don, this is intended to be
constructive criticism and not a moan, however, I will find myself
jumping around quite a bit as it is - at least until AppleScript is
enabled and I can use XKeys to move around.
Please see my embedded comments below:
--
It is almost impossible to carry the torch of truth through a crowd
without

On 24 Jan 2009, at 17:53, B. Scott Andersen wrote:

> Below is the very specific suggestions that I gave Don for the

> contest data entry screen.

> The data entry screen is a little more "busy" than some contest-only

> logging programs

> might demand, but the extra information (name, QTH info, etc.) are

> helpful when logging

Yes it may be. And after playing a little, if I clear the fields and
turn off lookup, the field labels don't really get in the way. In most
of the contests I've done, and I admit its not many, you can't use
aids like Internet lookup unless you are prepared to move into an
assisted section.

> Now to the right side.

Picking out the serial number I have to send (assuming everything else
is rubberstamp) is not so easy when the field is in the middle of two
other fields and to the right of something with text, and I find
contesting hard enough as it is :-(

> The design I sent Don follows. Questions about why I asked Don for

> these

> specific things are best sent to me, probably. After all, Don just

> did what we (I)

> asked. {grin}

More below....

> Here's the thing I sent Don:

> 1. Tabs move between the following fields:

> Call --> Recv text --> Recv S/N --> Sent text --> Sent S/N --> RSTR

> --> RSTS

OK, we must work very different contests, because although I'm
searching & pouncing, not running, in every contest I've ever been in
(and I admit not that many), the sequence is
Recv Call -> Recv RST (normally 59, but in VHF, not always) -> Recv S/
N -> Recv text (or something, sometimes 2 or 3 bits of into)
Then I reply with
Sent RST -> Sent S/N -> Sent text --> Log it

So 'I' would prefer the fields to be in that order and the tab to
follow it/

Since the contesters are on here, would other people chime in and
describe their typical exchange please. I've straw polled the UK
Contest reflector and replies indicate that the exchange is more
likely to be as stated by me above. However, they also acknowledge
that we do tend to fill in fields as we hear them, so being able to
jump straight to a field with a hot key (function key as described
below) is good too.

> 2. CMD-K (clear) clears call, Recv text, and Recv S/N. Focus is left

> in Call.

OK, but if we could use Return as well as tab and Return on the last
field completed, would log and go to Call, it's even easier and
faster. CMD-K is not a simple keystroke (especially if your left
handed) and you still have to use cmd-shift-L to log first, that's
even harder and now two keystrokes. If on the last field that needed
completion, the return logged and cleared fields and took you to call
entry, you've done it all in one big (literally) key-press. And Tab
remains to go back around the fields again. Return will always log as
soon as all required fields as complete (brings us back to being able
to configure which fields we need). This was also a comment from UK-
Contest.

> 7. Power could be set elsewhere (preferences panel?) or set here. In

> some ways,

> having it set elsewhere might be preferable -- just reminding the

> operator of the

> category they are playing in.

Or as with K3, reads what I've actually set it too - nice if I could
set it in MLDX and have K3 change, but that's not important right now.

> -=-=-

> So: here's how a QSO would go.

> CMD-K clears Call, Recv text, and Recv S/N. Focus left in Call

> The clock continues to tick while I call CQ

> Somebody answers my CQ. I type in the call.

> I hit CMD-L to lookup. All that great data gets filled in.

> Tab. I copy his exchange data into the Recv text area. OR!

> Tab Tab. I copy his exchange serial number into the Recv S/N area.

> Shift-CMD-L to log it. This clears call, Recv text, and Recv S/N.

> Focus is left in Call.

> I'm ready to go again.

Ok, for me, who S&P, it's -
use PowerMate to move up and down band
hear a CQ, maybe get part or all of callsign, or some other part of
the exchange (locator for instance)
use cmd-k to get into detail panel (easiest way) and tab to right
field for that data or mouse to it (too many keyclicks away from
field, no function keys to get there and no Apple Script yet)
move to call sign field since that's likely to be what I hear next
complete rest of details, fill in and send outgoing exchange
log it with (well in Classic, a script to Log, Clear fields and move
to VFO) - sorry, but cmd-shift-l is not a key combo I like - why not
something much simpler, like cmd-return or even just enter (enter
being on a keypad), why not a number of possible keystrokes?
fields, the next call may be close or in same locator

> I toyed with the idea of making the focus change from Call to Recv S/N

> selectable with a checkbox option--and it still might be a good

> idea--but

> this gets us close.

please don't bother, you never can tell what one hears first, I'd
rather have function keys to get to each field I have to enter - yes
XKeys helps, but because it has to launch an apple script, it takes
time - I'd rather have assignable function keys for each field I need
to go to.

> Users can repeatedly log QSOs without touching the mouse--just

> keyboard,

> keyboard, keyboard. That's good. If your hand needs to leave the

> keyboard

> during a contest is should be going for the radio, not the mouse.

Sure, but I defy someone not to touch the mouse sometime! :)

> The data handling (using the ADIF STX, SRX, STXn, and SRXn fields) is

> unchanged from the current incarnation of MLDX. There is little

> incentive,

> therefore, to alter the current Cab-converter approach of consuming an

> exported ADIF file. So, my world will remain the same.

That's fine, but without at least one more field, not all contests can
be achieved (I've been considering getting in touch to add a lot more
RSGB contests to CC and to find out what I need to do, to do it, it
will require a different output format too).

> That is my thinking on the design. Your thoughts?

As above. However if you want to pursue this, don't go on the above,
I'll write an RFC.
73 de M0XDF