[MacLoggerContest] MacLoggerDX V5 for Cocoa Contest Helper

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Thu Feb 19 14:38:24 EST 2009

Hi Jonathan,

On 19-02-2009, at 2:04 PM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up on the new beta ... I am about to go out for

> an appointment but will try to find time later to look at this more.

> A few quick observations from the contester viewpoint ...

> Dupes:

> 1) The band drop down could usefully have an option which is

> "current band" since you are most likely to want to flag up a dupe

> station on the band you are currently on - so that you don't work it

> again on that band. "All bands" is also useful in some events where

> you are not able to work the same station regardless of band. I

> would only use the individual band options if it were a single band

> contest but if there was a "current band" option that would cater in

> place of all the individual band options. So to make it a simpler

> drop down, two options "All Bands" and "Current Band" would do.

What makes you think that is "easy" ? The Contest Helper does not know
what the current band is. It could be done but it would be several
weeks worth of work, so please consider how much you need this
carefully.

> 2) When a dupe is found it is useful to display a table of band,

> date (Today or Yesterday is sufficient), time and serial number

> received (where applicable). The call is not needed in a column

> since it will be the call which is being logged at the time, if that

> helps simplify the interface.

So you want:

Date/time (Today or Yesterday may be sufficient for you but it is not
that simple - can we assume the contester knows what day it is ? There
is a date criteria so that can be set to whatever you want)
Time-on
Serial Number Received (what about the received string ?)

> 3) I always use CAT control and so frequency is auto logged ...

> however Band is not filled in I think ... so Band in the Dupe table

> is often blank for me.

V5 Fills in Band

> 4) I don't think I would ever use the 2 check boxes provided Lookup

> & Display QSO. Others might I suppose (David?) but I would skip

> them.

Does that mean you want them always active or always inactive ?

> SCP:

> 1) The lookup currently only works from the start of a callsign ...

> would be good to scrap this limitation ... an example might help ...

> If I type K3Z then the Lookup offers me K3ZO which works now.

> If I only hear and type 3ZO it would be good if it offered me K3ZO

> as well !

OK, so we never need to restrict it to the start of the call for SCP,
but we do for the dupes ? or we don't ?

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g P a r k S o f t w a r e L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com