[MacLoggerContest] MacLoggerDX Contest panel

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Wed Nov 11 20:32:59 EST 2009

Hi Rich, David, Don et al.

On 11 Nov 2009, at 16:48, Rich Seifert wrote:

> At 10:03 AM -0500 11/1/09, Don Agro wrote:

>> We have had a few requests for changes to the Contest Panel and would like to invite you to share your experiences/frustrations with the Contest Panel and Contest Helper in actual contests.

>> Any suggestions/complaints regarding the Contest panel of the Contest Helper are welcome.

> OK, here's what I think is probably my biggest "wish" with respect to MLDX contesting. If there was a way for users to create a contest template, the application would naturally grow to support a myriad of contests, large and small.

Agreed

> The "Template Editor" would have to be relatively simple to use, i.e., more like a scripting language than writing code. The user should be able to define at least three things:

> -The fields in the contest exchange (syntax)

> -The range of valid values (and defaults) for each of those fields (i.e., context checking), and

> -How pressing certain keys (e.g., space, Return, Tab) cause the cursor to navigate around the fields.

Agreed ... I have included some suggestion for the latter in (2) below.

> At some point, though, you have to draw the line and say "this is not a full-blown contest logger; if you want all that stuff, then this isn't the program for you. This is why I regard the "templating" as a much higher value-item than the "real-time scores."

Agreed!

But if templating is a step too far, then I have some other suggestions ...

1. Simplify the Contest Panel.
- remove all generally not needed fields for most contest exchanges
- order the fields according to sent and received then other received
- keep Freq and Mode reminders on screen but out of the way of data entered
- remove date and time because it is already displayed above the contest panel
- Grid only appears on the contest panel if a new checkbox in Contest Prefs is checked. (This is for VHF & up contesters).
- RSTS & RSTR are both default populated as 599 (if mode is CW) or 59 (if mode is phone). Sent sn is maintained as self-incrementing beginning at 001 (not zero) and displaying leading zeros as 3 figure serials.