[MacLoggerContest] Musings on Contesting with MLDX

Rich Seifert ke1b at richseifert.com
Sun May 2 18:00:27 EDT 2010

This weekend there was a veritable cornucopia of contests to enjoy.
At times, conditions were such that I could hear and work stations
participating simultaneously in the 7th Area QSO Party, Michigan QSO
Party, Indiana QSO Party, New England QSO Party, and the Italian
Amateur Radio Association DX Contest. I was not particularly
concentrating on any particular event, but being an avid contester, I
wanted to hand out points to folks in all of these contests.

As most people do, I open a new log when operating in a given
contest, so that I can convert it to the appropriate format and
submit it after the event. Operating in multiple contests this
weekend, I found myself switching back and forth between logs. MLDX
makes this relatively easy, by selecting a log from the "Open Recent
Log..." menu item. (More on this later.) While I can't have multiple
logs open simultaneously, I can switch among them with a single mouse
stroke, which is perfectly OK.

However, different contests use different exchanges: State,
State/County, Sequence Number/Region, etc. MLDX allows you to decide
which log elements are included on the Contest Panel, but it does so
only *once* for the entire program. The assumption is that you will
set up the Preferences for a given contest, and leave them that way
until that contest is over and you start another.

I don't know if it would be easy to do, or it if would go against the
architecture of MLDX, but I wish that the Contest Panel preferences
were associated with a given *log*, rather than with the program as a
whole. That is, when I open a log, I wish the Contest Panel would
reflect the parameters as I set them up for that contest: which
fields are displayed, whether sequence number fields (or text fields)
are to be incremented automatically, the state of the sequence number
counter, etc. That way, when I switch from the New England QSO Party
to the ARI DX Contest, the Contest Panel would go from showing
Send/Receive Text Strings to Send Numeric/Receive Text/Receive
Numeric, etc. Currently, each contest "context switch" requires
resetting parameters in the Contest Preferences.

Similarly, I wish that the settings for Dupe matching (Band, Mode,
Band/Mode) were similarly associated with the contest log, as some
contests allow dupes in different band/modes, and others do not.

I know that MLDX is not designed as contesting software, but I wanted
to put these ideas out there for consideration anyway. And if this is
the sort of thing we are down to discussing, then must mean that all
of the really important functionality in MLDX is already as good as
it can be!

One additional point: It appears that when I create a new log, it
does not show up in the "Open Recent Log..." list unless I exit MLDX
and reopen the app. Not a big deal, but I would think that a
newly-created log would show up as the most recent log in the menu
list.

73 and Good DX de Rich, KE1B

Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
rich at richseifert.com 21885 Bear Creek Way
(408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033
(408) 228-0803 FAX