[PAGID] serum IL-6

Charlotte Cunningham-Rundles charlotte.cunningham-rundles at mssm.edu
Tue Sep 27 16:53:32 EDT 2005

I have a pt who saw a hematologist/oncologist, and somehow this
doctor drew a serum IL-6. She has a a slightly low serum IgM and not
much else. Well the serum IL-6 was rather high, and now she wants to
have this explained. The doc who drew it said that he was sorry he
ordered it and it is meaningless.  I did a search and just can't find
any use for serum IL-6. ( Maybe  Castlemans' disease...)  Does any
one know any good use or meaning for this test ? any comments ?
--

Charlotte Cunningham-Rundles MD PhD
Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics  and Immunobiology
Email:  charlotte.cunningham-rundles at mssm.edu