[PAGID] ?Omenn's syndrome

Junker, Anne ajunker at cw.bc.ca
Wed Nov 30 15:56:49 EST 2005

Rhoda - If engrafted you'd expect to see at least 3 haplotypes, which
can be detected with molecular, not usually serologic, techniques.
Presence of both maternal haplotypes would be significant if the parents
weren't related.  We've had unfortunate cases of SCID with post
transfusion engraftment where we've been able to detect haplotypes of 2
different donors.  Canadian Blood Services is able to trace the donors
and do HLA testing if you need to confirm a non-maternal haplotype (that
takes time and won't help the baby, but completes a line of
investigation).
As to an underlying cause, do you know her nation?  Our Canadian
Atlantic First Nations harbour RAG deficiency, and Artemis deficiency is
in the Dane-speaking Athabascan natives -- both causes of Omenn's
syndrome.
anne

Anne Junker, MD
Associate Professor, Division of Infectious & Immunological Diseases,
Children & Women's Health Centre Room K4-223
4480 Oak Street, Vancouver, BC, CANADA   V5H 3V4
Ph: 604-875-3591  Fx: 604-875-2414  email: ajunker at cw.bc.ca