[PAGID] siblings with possible APECED and lung disease

Lisa Filipovich Lisa.Filipovich at cchmc.org
Thu Dec 22 12:01:29 EST 2005

We manage such patients. At my request the AIRE gene test has been set
up at Gene Dx and MA should pay for it. It takes about a month to get
the results back.
lisa

>>> Jennifer.Barker at UCHSC.edu 12/22/05 11:29 AM >>>
Hi all, we received a e mail consult from a physician who is caring for
siblings that are described below:  any input would be appreciated.
thanks
Jennifer:

I have 2 patients - a brother and a sister.

The sister, SC, is a 21 year old.  She has parathyroid failure (I
treat her with forteo, rocaltrol and calcium carb. oral suspension),
adrenal insufficiency, muco-cutaneous candidiasis, dental/nail
abnormalities, ovarian failure.  She also has had recurrent, severe,
pneumonitis/bronchitis/asthma episodes with almost monthly
hospitalizations.  Often her CRP is >30.  She has some early signs of

brochiectasis from necrotizing pneumonia.  Most recently she grew
MRSA from her sputum - either the pathogen, or a fellow traveller -
she is improving with vancomycin.  She also has chronic abdominal
pain and malabsorbs iron and vitamin D.

Her brother, AC, is 18 year old.  He has worse lung findings and is
on home nebulized tobramicin.  He has pernicious anemia, candidiasis,

nail changes, parathyroid failure.

I have no access to testing the AIRE gene - I wonder if there is a
new mutation, or a deletion into surrounding areas to explain the
severe lung disease.  We have looked at the possibility of
coincidental cystic fibrosis - we think we have ruled this out.

I am concerned for these young people as their father died at 29
years old of what sounds like the same disease.

Do you have a good idea of a clinical center that would be able
to deal with the 3 components of this problem:  the polyglandular
endocrine side, the complex/subtle immune dysregulation and the
severe pulmonary manifestations.

These patients have Medicaid and have few resources themselves.

Jennifer M. Barker, MD
Instructor in Pediatrics
Barbara Davis Center
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message is
legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the
use of the individual or organization to whom it is addressed. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the author immediately by replying to this message and delete the
original message. Thank you.