[PAGID] LAD and CMV

Salem Tamemi tamemi at squ.edu.om
Mon Jun 12 04:32:35 EDT 2006

CMV disease in the severe form of LAD-1 could be fatal (does your
patient have clinical disease, hepatosplenomegaly, pnemonitis) these
clinical entities could indolent and slowly progressive. You may want to
try Ganciclovir +/- CMV-IG or IVIG. The course of ganciclovir is 3 weeks
induction and then maintenance, if you are concerned about Bone marrow
suppression you may want to try Foscarnet although I don't think it is
liscenced in children yet but I have used it in a refractory CMV colitis
in an older child with hypogammaglobulinemia who didn't respond to
ganciclovir, and had very good response to Foscarnet.

Salem Al-Tamemi, MD.FAAP.FRCPC
Clinical Immunology & Allergy
Child Health Department
Sultan Qaboos University Hospital (SQUH)
PO box 96
PC 123 Al-Khod
Muscat - Oman
Tel +968 99311622