[PAGID] patient

Christine Seroogy CMSEROOGY at WISC.EDU
Thu Oct 12 14:09:21 EDT 2006

Dear Colleagues:

I have a perplexing case that was a second opinion and wonder if any
of you have seen a similar presentation.  This is a 2y/o boy with
recurrent rashes (urticarial--angioedema and eczematoid),
hepatosplenomegaly and lymphadenopathy since age 6 months.  The
rashes are fleeting and this has been a non-issue for over 6 months
but the other clinical findings are persistent. No fevers or weight
loss.  He was evaluated at another institution and found to have
normal B and T cell numbers and function.  Liver biopsy demonstrated
extramedullary hematopoiesis.  CBC with anemia and marked
microcytosis.  Repeat abdominal CT redemonstrated HSM and abnormal
bone signal suggestive of an infiltrative process and enlarged
diffuse lymph nodes.  Bone marrow full of hematogones and trilineage
hematopoiesis and markedly diminished Fe stores and no evidence of
malignancy.  His immune evaluation here consisted of ALPS panel and
SAP flow  (both done in Cincinnati.) Flow at our institution
demonstrated increased numbers of peripheral B cells (abs. CD19
3700)  Studies done in Cincinnati showed normal SAP and the ALPS
panel did not fulfill the criteria, but interestingly he has low % of
memory B cells (CD27+:  5.6%) and increased % CD5 B cells (52%).  So
it seems his B cell compartment is abnormal but the HSM and
extramedullary hematopoiesis is unusual.  Infectious etiologies have
been looked for and unrevealing.  His presentation is difficult to
unify.  I welcome any suggestions or comments.  Regards, Chris

Chris Seroogy, M.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Pediatrics
Mail:  H4/474 CSC, Mailstop 4108