[PAGID] IVIG and acute renal failure

HOWARD M LEDERMAN hlederm1 at jhmi.edu
Thu Feb 22 12:58:45 EST 2007

I have a newly dx'd 48 y/o CVID who had pre-existing chronic renal failure of unknown etiology and baseline creatinine of 3.1 We started IVIG using Gamunex to avoid the high sucrose/high osmolalityIVIG products. Nevertheless, his creatinine increased to 5.1 for no other apparent reason.
Since I don't know the mechanism by which this occurred, I don't know if it is related to the specific product or the dose. Do people feel comfortable using weekly SQ infusions in this setting? Any other thoughts?Howard
Howard M. Lederman, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine
Division of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology
Johns Hopkins Hospital - CMSC 1102
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287-3923
Phone: 410-955-5883