[PAGID] R: Patient question

Notarangelo, Luigi Luigi.Notarangelo at childrens.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 26 10:39:34 EDT 2007

I can only comment re: strategy to treat AIHA. While we continue to use steroids as firts choice, we would then definitely follow with rituximab if needed, and avoid splenectomy.
Of several severe cases of AIHA that I have seen during the last few years (mostly after HSCT), none has required splenectomy.

Luigi Notarangelo
Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
Division of Immunology, Children's Hospital
Karp Research Building, 9th floor, Rm 09210
1 Blackfan Circle
Boston, MA 02115
USA
tel: 617-9192277