[PAGID] Puzzling patient with high normal IgG levels but no antibody responses to vaccines

Torgerson, Troy troy.torgerson at seattlechildrens.org
Thu Jul 12 14:20:42 EDT 2007

Ashish Kumar has a patient with a similarly unusual story - I don't know
if he is on the PAGID listserve but I have cc'd this to him so he can
hopefully provide more of the clinical details. Essentially very low B
cell numbers but normal/near normal IgG levels. We evaluated Btk and
expression was normal in platelets by flow cytometry. When we sequenced
the gene we found a previously unreported point mutation in the kinase
domain that doesn't show up in any of the SNP databases. Btk-base shows
several point mutations in residues 4-5 base pairs up and downstream but
only a nonsense (stop) codon mutation at the same location. We are not
yet sure whether this mutation affects Btk function but this will be a
key question. Since Btk is expressed, it is theoretically possible that
this could generate a hypomorphic Btk that could allow a few B cells to
slip through development and start churning out antibody in response to
activating signals but no specific Ab responses due to the limited
number of clones - or NOT??

Best,

TT

Troy R. Torgerson MD PhD

Attending Physician, Pediatric Immunology/Rheumatology

Co-Director Immunodeficiency Molecular Diagnostic Lab

307 Westlake Ave. North

Suite 300

Seattle, WA 98109

Tel (206) 987-7450