[PAGID] Campath reaction

Chris Seroogy cmseroogy at pediatrics.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 19 17:17:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

A nephrology colleague asked me about management of anaphylactic-type
reactions secondary to Campath. Our group is using it in pediatric patients
post-renal transplant with excellent clinical response. The problem that
has come up on numerous patients is this anaphylactic-type reaction with the
second (and final infusion)--hives and wheezing. A few patients were given
epi with a good clinical response. They are premedicating with H1 and H2
antagonists as well as 5 mg/kg solumedrol an hour before campath infusion.
The campath infusion is given over 2 hours and lengthening this worsened the
reaction rates. The second infusion is give 24 hours after the first
reaction. I have no personal experience with Campath and am wondering if
others have observed this and have been able to successfully manage it?
Regards, Chris