[PAGID] transfusion guidelines for IgA deficient patients

Dr. med. Jan Rohr jan.rohr at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Mon Jan 7 08:36:01 EST 2008

Dear colleagues,

I am asking for your advice concerning several questions related to the
issue of transfusions in IgA-deficient patients (since I am new to this
listserver please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed in
the past). As IgA-deficient patients carry an increased risk for severe
anaphylactic reactions during the transfusion of blood products, I was
wondering whether there are official guidelines concerning this issue.
However, I have been unsuccesful in finding such guidelines. Since I am
not sure whether such guidelines exist at all, I am asking for your
experiences and approach to this topic. In particular, I would be
interested in the following points:

1.) Is there a clear cut-off value for the serum IgA-level below which
the risk of transfusion reactions increases ?
2.) What should be the lower limit of detection of the method used for
the determination of IgA-levels ?
2.) Is the determination of Anti-IgA-levels helpful in identifying
patients at risk ?
3.) What kind of blood products are being used (washed red blood cells
or thrombocytes ? red blood cells and thrombocytes from IgA-deficient
donors ?) ?
4.) What recommendations do you have if such blood products are not
available in a timely manner ?

Your help is appreciated. Best wishes,

Jan Rohr

Dr. med. Jan Rohr
Klinik I: Allgemeine Pädiatrie
Zentrum für Kinderheilkunde und Jugendmedizin
Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Mathildenstr. 1
79106 Freiburg
Tel.: +49 761-270-4300