[PAGID] Home IVIG

Jack Bleesing Jack.Bleesing at cchmc.org
Tue Feb 19 17:24:06 EST 2008

We are (still) far from the 90% that Kate mentions. We do try to get patients back home with their IVIG replacement, but take that as an opportunity to switch to SQIG when possible.

We are very spoiled at CCHMC with regard to IV placing nurses. Often this doesn't work as well at home, and that doesn't help with IVIG and motivation of pediatric patients. Lastly, we strongly discourage placement of Portacath and the like for IVIG (because IV's cannot be reliable placed).

There is also a social component (families hanging out and providing patient-to-patient support) that is missed at home.

I was just visiting a patient in Day Hospital, who is returining to the hospital because the home-health team had a hard time with IV placements. Hasn't warmed up to SQIV (yet)

Good topic for review.

Regards,
JB

Jack J.H. Bleesing, M.D., Ph.D.
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Division of Hematology/Oncology
3333 Burnet Avenue, MLC 7015
Cincinnati, OH 45229
513-636-4266 (phone)
513-636-3549 (fax)
Jack.Bleesing at CCHMC.org
http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/immunodeficiencies/

>>> Chris Seroogy <cmseroogy at pediatrics.wisc.edu> 2/19/2008 5:07:23 PM >>>

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to poll people on home IVIG use. I am typically opposed to it
and have found more recently that insurance companies are requesting it.
During my training, this was never done. Is there are paradigm shift in
facilitating home IVIG that I am not aware of? Thank you for your comments,
Chris

Chris Seroogy, M.D.

Assistant Professor

Dept. of Pediatrics