[PAGID] Patient with lymphopenia

Marc Riedl mriedl at mednet.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 21 12:13:02 EDT 2008

Jason,

We've seen a few such patients here as well. I agree with many of the
previous suggestions:

- We typically perform in vivo DTH testing as well as in vitro
proliferation assays

- We have identified ADA deficiency in one case

- However, most of the time we end up with a diagnosis of
"idiopathic lymphopenia" having ruled out other potential causes

The good news is that in my experience, the vast majority of these patients
do well clinically without serious life-threatening infections.

Regards,

Marc

Marc Riedl, M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Section Head, Clinical Immunology and Allergy
UCLA - David Geffen School of Medicine
10833 Le Conte Ave, 37-131 CHS
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1680
Tel 310.206.4345 Fax 310.267.0090