[PAGID] Disseminated mycobacterium

Salem Tamemi tamemi at squ.edu.om
Sat Apr 26 05:11:57 EDT 2008

I had one patient with complete INFGR II deficiency. She was on
clarithromycin and ciprofloxacin prophylaxis after being treated for
disseminated BCG vaccine infection. She was put on INF-g therapy but I
didn't think it helped her as much as the prophylactic antimicrobials. In
complete INFGR deficiency the serum INF-g level is very high already so one
would wonder how is it going to help, unlike in partial deficiency where it
may help. Clinically was failing to thrive and had significant
lymphproliferation including significant hepatosplenomegaly (I was not quite
sure the lymphoproliferation was because of the disease it itself or
secondary to the INF-g) anyway for the 1st time we transplanted her from a
matched sibling donor and remarkably done quite well, now 1.5 years post
transplant free from infections with complete resolution of
lymphoproliferation and she is growing.

To note also, I follow patients with CGD who presented initially with
pulmonary mycobacterium infection but not aggressive and disseminated as
this patient which is usually the case in complete INFGRD, still worth
looking for it in this patient.

Salem Al-Tamemi, MD,FAAP,FRCPC.

Consultant

Clinical Immunology & Allergy