[PAGID] lymphopenic infant

Luigi Notarangelo luigi.notarangelo at childrens.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 30 08:26:18 EDT 2008

Dear Dr. Sinclair:

Indeed, a very interesting case.

I agree that Cernunnos or even DNA lig4 deficiency should be considered.
Cernunnos deficiency is usually leaky, and Lig4 deficiency has a spectrum of
phenotypes that fits with this one. Although no increased occurrence of
breaks were seen, the best assay would be survival of fibroblasts upon
irradiation. I would encourage to get a skin biopsy and perform this more
classical assay for radiation-sensitive PIDs. Other DNA repair defects
(including MMR defects, not only NHEJ defects) should be considered. Again,
something that could be worked out on fibrobalsts. Happy to help here and
sort out possible DNA repair defects in collaboration with Fred Alt, if you
wish.

Luigi D. Notarangelo, M.D.
Director, Research and Molecular Diagnosis Program on Primary
Immunodeficiencies
Division of Immunology, Children's Hospital
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology, Harvard Medical School
Karp Building, 9th floor, Rm 09210
1 Blackfan Circle
Boston, MA 02115
USA