[PAGID] Chronic rhinosinusitis in antibody deficiency diseases

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Wed Jun 4 10:15:41 EDT 2008

With patients that are actually chronically infected (rather than kids in which true "prophylaxis" is possible), I usually alternate months of full treatment antibiotics- like augmentin 875 or 1000 mg twice a day one month and zithomax every day the first week of the following month followed by alternate day the rest of that month. If patiebnts have chronic bronchitis and have ever had pseudomonas I add aerosolized tobramycin during the zithromax month. Then I reserve Quinolones for acute exacerbations. I am always wary that this may increase susceptbility to fungal infection and fluconazole or itraconazole are not far from mind.

For prophylaxis in kids I agree with MaryEllen- bactrim is usyually my first choice.

Most of our patients with chronic sinusitis who have crusty junk in their noses are on some kind of irrigation- eith with a water pik or similar device or the thing whixch looks like an aladdins lamp. The ENT guys usually recommend a slightly alkaline solution with sodium bicarb.

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B