[PAGID] Allergy fellow seeking assistance with IRAK-4 defevaluation

Fleisher, Thomas (NIH/CC/DLM) [E] TFleishe at cc.nih.gov
Wed Jun 25 09:34:02 EDT 2008

The low Igs, albumin and lymphocyte number are strongly suggestive that
the pericardial effusion was acting very similar to an acquired like
intestinal lymphangiectasia associated with constrictive pericarditis (J
Peds 86:548-554, 1975). Since his Igs, lymphocytes and albumin are now
normal post treatment of the pericarditis (as noted in the narrative),
it seems to me that he cannot be classified as having a primary antibody
defect (he also had protective antibody levels to standard immunogens).
This leaves the fundamental question whether the GABHS pericarditis was
a "bad" luck unusual infection or tied to an underlying defect in innate
immunity, a question for which I do not have the answer. If the latter,
IRAK 4 should be ruled out however, the recent review in the JEM
(204:2407-22, 2007) of 28 patients with IRAK4 deficiency revealed that
the predominant infectious agents were S pneumoniae (22/28) and S aureus
(14/28) with a lower incidence of serious gram negative infections
(7/28). Further there was not a case of pericarditis among this group
but of course there can always be a first time. I should point out that
the NIH patient from many years ago with IRAK4 deficiency developed a
very unusual (atypical) infection that ultimately necessitated a limb
disarticulation (J Immunol 158:3959-3964, 1997 and JEM 198:521-531,
2003). I have cc'd Jean Laurent Casanova and Steve Holland for their
input.

Thomas A. Fleisher, M.D.

Chief, Department of Laboratory Medicine

Chief, Immunology Service, DLM

NIH Clinical Center

tel 301 496-5668

fax 301 402-1612