[PAGID] Allergy fellow seeking assistancewithIRAK-4 def evaluation

Otto, Hans F Maj USAF AETC 59 MDOG/MMIA Hans.Otto at LACKLAND.AF.MIL
Thu Jun 26 16:58:45 EDT 2008

Thank you all for your excellent and expert feedback! I am sorry for
the delay in my response but it has been a busy 48 hours.

he has garden variety CVID?" No, common things being common, this could
be CVID but as it is a diagnosis of exclusion I am trying to pursue
reasonable alternative diagnosis that may explain his somewhat unique
presentation (i.e., GABHS strep pericarditis as 1st presentation of CVID
would be a 1st). That includes other PID and acquired IDs. If he has
CVID, then as we monitor his Ig's over time (~6months), we should see
them trend down again as we are not giving further IVIG.

As Dr Fleisher very correctly states, his hypogamm could have been a
"red herring" in the respect that he may have had the extreme bad luck
to develop a primary infection with constrictive pericarditis (CP) that
then resulted in intestinal lymphangectasia (IL) resulting in the well
reported protein-losing enteropathy (PLE), thus the hypoalbuminemia,
hypogammaglobulinemia and lymphopenia for which we were consulted. If I
had been more astute at the time, I could have checked
alpha-1-antitrypsin levels and clearance in his stool to aid with this
diagnosis but that ship has sailed. Certainly, IL with PLE all
secondary to CP fits well with the clinical scenario but again, as it
stands now, I believe it remains a diagnosis of exclusion.

As Dr Blaese suggests, it may be worth checking DTH status now and, if
negative, again in a few months to track his response over time as he
and his colleagues did in one of the earliest descriptions of IL with
PLE secondary to CP(J of Ped 86;548-54, 1975) though the cause of CP was
unclear. His case had months of acute colicky pain followed by
explosive diarrhea until he was diagnosed with PLE and over a year later
he was finally found to have CP. Given the pathogen implicated in my
patient (GABHS) his inoculation to presentation was very likely brief
and the role of his 1 day of diarrhea 1 week before presentation as
being the source of loss of his Ig I believe to be less likely. Was
there a inherent susceptibility to infection that started it all? As Dr
Fleisher wrote, I don't have the answer either...only seeking the tools
to find the answer.

It has been well cited in the older literature (Am J Med 44;842-50, 1968
and J of Ped 86;548-54, 1975) that some but not all cases of CP can
result in IL and it is not clear why some do and most don't. As such,
his hypogamm would be expected to be transient (as has been demonstrated
in animal models) and would have resolved with clinical improvement of
his CP if he had not already been given IVIG. Now, we are monitoring
his Ig's to see if they trend back down but consistent with Dr
Fleisher's and my hypothesis, they may not ever trend low again as his
CP has clinically improved.
Here are the numbers Dr Fleisher requested.
Date IgG (mg/L) IgA (mg/L) IgM (mg/L)
2/25/08 <100 18 5.0
2/26/08 113 32 41
4/4/08 1708 155 61
5/5/08 1391 108 67
6/23/08 1331 128 77

same authors of the JEM article (Immunol Res 38; 347-352, 2007) they
cite that all invasive infections (septicemia, arthritis, meningitis)
occurred before 14 y/o and all fatal infections before 8 y/o. Review of
table 1 from the JEM article shows a wide enough distribution of ages
that fits well with this 7 y/o patient.

As Dr Fleisher cites, IRAK-4 def has been reported with S. aureus, S
pneumonia and to a lesser extent other pyogenic/gram negative
infections. They did not report GABHS but certainly TLR dysfunction
(IRAK-4) would be susceptible to GN pyogenic infection. Considering the
likelihood based on reported cases of both in the worldwide literature,
it may be more likely for the patient to have IRAK-4 as susceptibility
to pyogenic infection (>28 cases of IRAK-4 def worldwide) than the even
more rare spontaneous GABHS pericarditis (5 cases worldwide). While
that may be an adulteration of epidemiology, I believe that IRAK-4
should be considered and evaluated.

Treatment options would differ depending on the outcome of evaluation.
IL secondary to CP would require to treatment once the CP has resolved.
In the case of GABHS CP, we would not expect recurrence of the infection
once treated but scarring could persist (apparently not the case in our
patient). In the case of IRAK-4 def, the authors of Immunol Res
recommend prophylactic IVIG until the age of 10 y/o, prophylactic
antibiotics and an intensive vaccination program.

starting 2 days prior to admission, T max of 105F, was acutely ill,
pan-ST depression on EKG in the ER. He was ultimately intubated later
the night of admission and placed on pressor support when he went into
cardiac tamponade. Cardiology performed a pericardiocentesis then
placed a drain which was removed a week later. It was from the initial
purulent tap that infectious diseases identified the gram negative cocci
and confirmed GABHS the following day or so. He responded to
ampicillin, defervesced in 1-2 days and was extubated after 3-4 days.

If you think the CD62L shedding could be performed at your lab (Paris?)
or the NIH, I would be happy to initiate coordinate the logistics for
proper collection, funding and shipping on my end if you or Dr Fleisher
have a POC on your ends (fresh blood?, what color top tube?, on ice?,
overnight?, etc). If this step does not answer the question and we
think there are other paths of the TIR that are worth pursuing, I would
appreciate any assistance/guidance that you may have to offer.

Whew...I think I responded to everyone's notes. Drs Casanova or
Fleisher: let me know if you would be able to perform and if so the POC
to coordinate the logistics of getting the serum to you I a timely
fashion.

Most sincerely,
Hans
//signed//