[PAGID] R: WAS with normal mpv

Notarangelo, Luigi Luigi.Notarangelo at childrens.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 7 04:01:13 EDT 2008

Dear Rohan:

I apologize for the delay (you had contacted me directly, but I was not in town).
We have identified the E133K mutation in three patients, all of which had classical WAS. However two of these patients were referred to us from other colleagues, and there were no data on the MPV. The third patient is a child I took care of. He also had classical WAS (very severe thrombocytopenia, very severe eczema and multiple and severe infections) and died early in life of CNS hemorrhage (he was not transplanted because of lack of a suitable related or unrelated donor). His MPV was consistently very low (4 fL). One key consideration is that MPV is very difficult to evaluate. False low MPV values are common in patients with severe thrombocytopenia; on the other hand, aggregates may lead to false-normal (or near-normal) MPV values in WAS. At the time I saw the child I mentioned, we did not perform a thorough analysis of the platelets, so the values I gave are the ones in the medical records.
Importantly, we could not perform WASP protein expression analysis on his platelets or fresh blood cells, because he died prior to cloning of the WASP gene.

Best regards

Gigi

Luigi Notarangelo
Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
Division of Immunology, Children's Hospital
Karp Research Building, 9th floor, Rm 09210
1 Blackfan Circle
Boston, MA 02115
USA
tel: 617-9192277