[PAGID] NEMO colitis

Jordan Orange orange at mail.med.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 8 06:56:21 EDT 2008

Dear Stephan,

This timeframe is consistent. In two patients, however, colitis
appeared earlier.
In some it has been very difficult to discern histologically from GvHD
although this does not seem to be the case with your patient.

The mechanism is most probably as you propose, as the patients with
which I am familiar have had at least some engraftment and where
measured some (or complete) restoration of TLR function.

Steroids seem to be uniformly useful, although clearly less than ideal
as a long term option.
Oral vancomycin + sulfasalazine has been useful in one child and has
he been able to wean off steroids (although this took over two years).
Infliximab has been tried in one patient with some early encouraging
results - on the surface this would make sense mechanistically as his
hematopoietic immunity has largely normalized.
6MP has not seemed to add much benefit.

Regarding prognosis, this is a complex issue. Of the patients which I
am aware, I believe this intestinal issue contributed to the eventual
demise of two. Another seems to be doing well, and has come off of
steroids, but has had E. Coli septicemia while being otherwise
healthy. Another is in thick of things presently and it is too early
to say.
I look forward to hearing the experience of others.

As you point out, pre-existing "IBD" is not necessarily a predictor
for the development of this post-transplant phenomenon. In actuality
the mechanism of the pre- and post-transplant phenomena may be
overlapping but distinct.
Thus, the issue overall and role of transplantation warrants ongoing
and careful consideration.

Very best,

Jordan

Jordan Orange MD/PhD
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Division of Immunology
3615 Civic Center Blvd, ARC-1016H
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(Voice) 267-426-5622
(Fax) 267-426-5727