[PAGID] Request for advice - ? patient with CVID

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Fri Sep 12 00:44:51 EDT 2008

If the patient has had infections with strep. pneumoniae while on IVIg, I suggest you adjust the IVIg dose/interval to be sure she has protective pneumococcal titers at the trough (I learned that fronm Ralph Shapiro).

What is the status of her liver, biliary tree and panreas ? Could she have pancreatic insufficiency ? If the liver is enlarged and/or the LFts are chronically elevated, I would suggest a biopsy. Do you have any idea what happened when she got the ascites and splenomegaly ? Does she have waxing and waning granulomatous hepatitis. After reviewing the liver and intestinal histology, including flow cytometry, consider a TNF antagonist (if it is granulomatous) or Rituxin if the intestine has a lymphocytic infiltrate which is CD20+ .

Another possibility is intestinal lymphangiectasia- which might explain the maladsorption, and if she is hypoproteinemic, that may have exacerbated at a point in tie contributing to the ascites. Is her albumin borderline or low ? Intestinal lymphangiectasia could certainly contribute to her lymphocytopenia.

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B