[PAGID] case question

Green, Todd Todd.Green at chp.edu
Fri Oct 17 15:19:23 EDT 2008

We have a case that I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts
on:

Now 6 month old male. Our initial consult was 2 months ago when he was
an inpatient transferred to our hospital for pseudomonal sepsis,
hepatosplenomegaly, respiratory distress, and pancytopenia. Had been
healthy for first 4 months. Initial CBC with 53,000 platelets, Hgb of
8.3, ferritin >5000, AST 4735, ALT 1910. CT C/A/P unremarkable. Bone
marrow consistent with HLH. Skin bx from elbow lesion grew pseudomonas.
Ecthyma noted on anal area. EBV PCR (blood) negative, sputum and urine
CMV positive. IgA 113, IgG 636, IgM 133 at 4 months. HIV negative. He
was started on chemo (cyclosporine, dexamethasone and etoposide) for
HLH. Unfortunately, he had a small bowel perforation that required an
ex-lap (thought to be secondary to chemo). Appendix biopsy grew
pseudomonas.

Additional immunologic studies (done while on chemo) showed normal NOBA,
mitogens 50-75% of control, normal CH50. Lymphocyte subsets at 4 1/2
months of age showed:
CD 3+ 1159
CD 4+ 777
CD 8+ 379
CD 19+ 375
CD16/56+ 66.

FHL STXII- negative for mutation
PERF- negative for mutation
MUNC- negative for mutation
SH2DIA and BIRC4 mutation analysis- pending
NK functional test- pending

Pt was discharged to home after about 4 weeks in hospital and has been
doing very well clinically on chemotherapy for HLH (using the HLH-2004
protocol). He did leave with an NG due to swallow issues. Consideration
is being given to transplant.

Immunoglobulins and lymphocyte subsets were repeated within the past
week (now at 6 months of age), with the following results:

IgA <7
IgG 104
IgM <25

CD 3+ 3270
CD 4+ 2368
CD 8+ 882
CD 19+ 40
CD 16/56+ 126

We are currently a little perplexed about the decline in B-cell number
as well as immunoglobulin levels, as if he is not producing antibody.

He has no hair or pigment abnormalities. In addition to mutation
analysis for XLP, we are considering XLA given his recent labs.

As our Heme-Onc colleagues consider transplant, we would obviously like
to try to diagnose an underlying primary immunodeficiency if possible.
Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks very much for your time and thoughts.

Todd

Todd D Green, MD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Allergy and Immunology
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
3705 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
telephone 412-692-5103
fax 412-692-8499

This e-mail may contain confidential information of the sending
organization. Any unauthorized or improper disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of the contents of this e-mail and attached
document(s) is prohibited. The information contained in this e-mail and
attached document(s) is intended only for the personal and confidential
use of the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail
and delete the original e-mail and attached document(s).