[PAGID] IVIG reactions

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Thu Jan 15 17:36:30 EST 2009

My experience is in accord with Mark's- smaller more frequent infusions usually ameliorate local as well as systemic reactions. Be sure you are putting into a sites with sufficient soft tissue "pinch an inch", and use 11-13 mm needles. A common problem occures when very short needles are used and a significant part of the dose is actually intradfermal You might also inquire as to whether there are emotional issues surrounding the IgG therapy which are being exprssed as pain.

We have occaisionally had patients on IV IgG who actually had severe back spasms causing pain during infusions. Such patients may responfd to prophylaxis/treatment with valium.

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Marc Riedl
Sent: Thu 1/15/2009 12:04 PM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: Re: [PAGID] IVIG reactions

For patients with persistent intolerable discomfort at SCIG sites, we've been successful with either different product (Gamunex most often tolerated), topical anesthetic, and/or more frequent administration to reduce volume (3x/weekly or daily).

Marc Riedl, M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Section Head, Clinical Immunology and Allergy
UCLA - David Geffen School of Medicine