[PAGID] PAGID posting

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Fri Apr 10 13:58:57 EDT 2009

Dear Dr. Wickner

I think that your patient has a very severe form of immunodeficiency
to be classified as a CVID. Despite the low levels of IgG2 and IgA,
his cellular dysfunction is apparently very precocious for CVID. In
our experience CVID patients usually present cellular deficits
(initially T cells and afterwards NK cells) later in life, generally
after 50 years of age, at least 25 years of clinical disease and in
the patients that have high CD8 T cell counts and splenomegaly.
Apparently his immune function is deteriorating very quickly (in one
year his lymphoproliferation to mitogens is falling) with clinical
evidence of cellular immunodeficiency - shingles and candida
esophagitis; despite the fact that is important to correlate these
findings - clinical and laboratorial - with the possible use of
corticosteroids for the control of asthma.
Does he have a abnormal facies or any other characteristic phenotype,
to think about ICL or other DNA repair defect (AT, Nijmegen) that
usually present a progressive disease?
As a matter of fact I would think initially in a mild form of CID with
progressive features, such as ADA deficiency, or another variant of a
leaky SCID with NK cell deficiency. Moreover the very low counts of
CD4/CD45RA cells for age are suggestive of a low thymic output
favoring a CID diagnosis.
Please keep us posted on the evolution and evaluation of the patient.

Kind regards,

Dewton de Moraes-Vasconcelos
University of São Paulo School of Medicine