[PAGID] EBV negavtive lymphomatoid granulomatosis

Ashish Kumar kumar036 at umn.edu
Mon Jun 8 11:25:39 EDT 2009

I have a 15 year old boy who presented with recurrent headaches,
vomiting and right sided weakness about a year ago. MRI of brain showed
multiple discrete lesions. Chest CT also showed nodules which on biopsy
showed angiocentric polyclonal lymphoid infiltrate i.e. lymphomatoid
granulomatosis (LYG). EBER stains were negative as was his peripheral
blood PCR was EBV. Published reports also show that CNS LYG is often
EBV-negative. His symptoms improved on their own so nothing was done.
There was no family history suggestive of XLP, his lymphocyte subsets
and Ig levels were all normal and he was a previously healthy, well
developed young man. Family declined XLP testing. About a month ago, he
started having symptoms again and repeat MRI of brain showed numerous
new lesions. So, I elected to treat him with steroids - 2 mg/Kg. He
didn't have symptoms for 2 weeks, but then started having them again -
headache and vomiting. I am getting another MRI today, but regardless of
what it shows, I think he needs more therapy and I was going to add
Rituximab. Any other recommendations? There are reports of using full
lymphoma based chemotherapy but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I am
going to persuade the family to allow XLP testing as well. Any ideas or
suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
Ashish

--
Ashish Kumar, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics

Electronic messages can be misdirected or intercepted by unintended parties. The University of Minnesota can not and does not guarantee the confidentiality of messages sent over the Internet. Messages sent to or received from work e-mail accounts also may be monitored or viewed by your employer. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the information.