[PAGID] oral Ig

YaeJean Kim yaejeankim at skku.edu
Sat Jun 27 06:45:56 EDT 2009

Hi, all

I have another question about a patients with WAS who got transplanted and
has had chronic diarrhea due to virus called “calicivirus”.

This is a pt with WAS who was transplanted about a year ago. He developed
severe severe GVH including skin and gut. He got better
then he developed
severe diarrhea which was suspected for GVH back then and H-O guy put him on
a significant immunosuppresion
later calicivirus was reported. He has had
calicivirus dected for the past 7 months
still has diarrhea upto 8-10 times
a day. Multiple endoscopies
the most recent one showed no evidence of GVH
but more likely viral enteritis
no CMV or EBV were seen on staining.

I requested for EM
because I was expecting to see virus particle if there is
any invasion
this is pending and takes long time
I am not sure whether we
can identify calici by EM
anyway I though that was worth of try.

For tx options
there is nothing to give but the child is still suffering a
lot. And finally, I have thought of oral IVIG
.giving Ig by mouth to
control the viral infection in the gut mucosa
.there is no guarantee that Ig
will be destroyed by gastric juice
but I can still think and if that is the
concern, I can persuade GI guy, do the endoscopy and let him spary Ig on
the surface of the gut
. Or Ig enema even!!

Do you also try things like this with IVIG? If I give Ig, how much (the
dose, and frequencies) should I give per mouth?

Thanks for any comments.

YaeJean Kim, MD

Assistant Professor

50 Ilwon-dong Gangnam-gu