[PAGID] oral Ig

Sorensen, Ricardo RSoren at lsuhsc.edu
Mon Jun 29 12:45:30 EDT 2009

Hi, Oral immune serum globulin has worked marvels in some patients. A few years ago I prepared the summary I am copyng below. Since that summary we have treated one more patient with severe rotavirus infections and it also stopped the diarrhea in a few days.

Before copying the summary, you should also check into the possibility that your patients may have developed food allergy after transplantation. If needed, I dig up the reference somewhere.

Here is the summary about the use of oral ISG:

Oral administration of IgG

Human IgG was shown to survive passage through the gastrointestinal tract in an immunologically active form and suppress rotavirus excretion in patients who failed to respond to monthly IVIG infusions [Losonsky, 1985 #60]. The dose was 150 mg/kg day of a 5% IVIG preparation

Losonsky GA, Johnson JP, Winkelstein JA, et al.: Oral administration of humans serum immunoglobulin in immunodeficient patients with viral gastroenteritis, J Clin Invest 76: 2362, 1985.

Subsequently, oral IVIG was also used effectively in patients with primary immunodeficiency syndromes and chronic diarrhea of unspecified etiology [Melamed, 1991 #85]. The dose was 1,65 gm twice a day for two 8 and 9-year old patients.

Melamed I, Griffiths AM, Roifman CM: Benefit of oral immune globulin therapy in patients with immunodeficiency and chronic diarrhea., J Pediatr 119: 486, 1991.

At the Department of Pediatrics, LSU Health Science Center and Children's Hospital in New Orleans, we have anecdotal experience of oral IgG use in two patients:

One adolescent patient with cartilage hair hypoplasia and common variable hypogammaglobulinemia wase successfully treated a life-threatening, secretory cryptosporydial diarrhea in with daily oral administration of an IVIG preparation. This patient had not responded to earlier drug therapy and an increase in IVIG dose and frequency of administration. The dose was 5 g/day. The patient improved and treatment was discontinued after 7 days. It needed to be repeated 1 year later for a similar episode of diarrhea.

One patient with X-linked SCID and chronic mild diarrhea with rotavirus excretion was
Treated with oral IVIG, 150 mg/kg/day for several months. This treatment improved the diarrhea, but did not stop rotavirus excretion. After an attempt to discontinue this treatment, watery diarrhea recurred within two days and Improvement when oral IVIG restarted.

(Sorensen, unpublished observations).

In conclusion, oral IgG should be considered for patients with primary immunodeficienciy syndromes who develop severe or chronic diarrheas of various etiologies that do not respond to conventional treatment.

Ricardo Sorensen, M.D.
New Orleans

PS. Higher doses if IgIV are unlikely to make a difference