[PAGID] patient who lacks long-term memory antibody responses

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Mon Jul 20 15:31:20 EDT 2009

Ele- Have you checked complement in this one ?

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Eleonora Gambineri
Sent: Mon 7/20/2009 11:27 AM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: Re: [PAGID] patient who lacks long-term memory antibody responses

Dear Howard,

I am following up a 8 yo boy with similar clinical presentation than yours. He has been suffering from recurrent/chronic sinusitis since a couple of year (before he was healthy). Recently he also suffered from pneumonia.

Hereby his labs:

CBC and differential: normal
LFTs: normal
Creatinine: normal

Vaccinal antibodies:
Anti-tet: neg (last booster 2 yrs ago)
Anti-measles: neg
Anti-dift: neg
Anti-HIV: neg
Anti-pneumococcus: ongoing

CMV Ab: IgG POS; PCR CMV (peripheral blood): neg
EBV Ab: neg; PCR EBV (peripheral blood): neg

IgG 1240 mg/dl
IgA 166
IgM 179

IgE 34 kU/L

IgG1 1070 mg/dl
IgG2 140
IgG3 88
IgG4 2

Anti-nuclear Ab: neg

His T cell phenotype showed low CD4 count (400-500/ul) mainly CD45 RO memory CD4 T cells (65%). The B cell phenotype showed a normal differentiation of memory B cells except for increased transitional B cells (9,8%).

He is at the moment in prophylaxis with Azithromycin: 350 mg 3 times/week. No infections so far.

Before considering IVIG I will see how he will do clinically. If he need to stay on antibiotics to be free from infections I will probably consider immunoglobulin replacement.

Since the thymic output seems normal (most of CD4+ CD45RA+ cells are CD31+) I was also considering other condition with helper T cell-dependent antibody defects i.e. XLP ? Although I am also open to any kind of suggestions!!

Best wishes,
Ele

Dott.ssa Eleonora Gambineri
Ricercatore Universitario
Universita' degli Studi di Firenze
Dipartimento di Pediatria-Ospedale Pediatrico "Anna Meyer"
Viale Gaetano Pieraccini, 24
50139 FIRENZE
Tel 055 5662405 (ufficio)
055 5662464 (lab)
Fax 055 4221012
e-mail: eleonora.gambineri at unifi.it; e.gambineri at meyer.it

Eleonora Gambineri, MD
Researcher/Assistant Professor
University of Florence
Department of Pediatrics-"Anna Meyer" Children's Hospital
Viale Gaetano Pieraccini, 24
50139 FIRENZE
ITALY
Tel +39 055 5662405 (office)