[PAGID] Autoinmmune enteropathy?

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Fri Aug 7 08:43:31 EDT 2009

What are the surface markers on the intraepithelial lymphocytes ? Is there
any lymphoid hyperplasia or pseudopolyps in the colon ?

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106

_____

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Nacho Gonzalez
Sent: Fri 8/7/2009 8:00 AM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: [PAGID] Autoinmmune enteropathy?

7 year old female (RM) with severe chronic diarrea with neonatal onset.
Cuacasian. She has persistent malabsortion. She required parenteral
nutrition when she was eighteen month old (for severe malnutrition).
Intestinal biopsy (2002): moderate partial vellous atrophy.

Her sister (AM) suffers from refractory celiac disease (CD) with persistent
antigliadin and antitransglutaminase positive despite strictly gluten free
diet.

The patient (RM) presents negative celiac serology. HLA is not compatible
with celiac disease. Intraepitelial lymphocytes are not compatible with CD
(in 2002 and now). Antienterocyte antibodies are also negative (in 2002 and
now). CD25+ and FOXP3+ are in normal range (this month). She has
persistent IgE elevation (around 1000 IU/mL). Anti TPO levels were slightly
elevated once (Dec´08) but now are in normal range. Anti PCA (parietal cell
antibodies are slightly positive: 1/80 ) ANA + 1/40 (normal) . We have
ruled out food allergies. IgG,A,M normal. Lymphocyte subpopulations:
normal.

She is now admitted for severe diarrhea and malnutrition.

We are not sure about starting steroid therapy. We'd really appreciate
helpful suggestions about diagnosis and treatment.

Visit us at www.UHhospitals.org.

The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee only. University Hospitals and its affiliates disclaim any responsibility for unauthorized disclosure of this information to anyone other than the addressee.

Federal and Ohio law protect patient medical information, including psychiatric_disorders, (H.I.V) test results, A.I.Ds-related conditions, alcohol, and/or drug_dependence or abuse disclosed in this email. Federal regulation (42 CFR Part 2) and Ohio Revised Code section 5122.31 and 3701.243 prohibit disclosure of this information without the specific written consent of the person to whom it pertains, or as otherwise permitted by law.