[PAGID] FW: ? Granulomatous Angiitis

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Wed Sep 30 09:35:29 EDT 2009

A couple of questions on the IgG- I assume there is no monoclonal spike ? What is her EBV status ?

Then: Was the lesion stained for Ig's ? Have you or CHOP or someone done a TLR screen ?

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Vogler, Larry B
Sent: Tue 9/29/2009 5:53 PM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: [PAGID] FW: ? Granulomatous Angiitis

<https://mail.uhhospitals.org/exchange/Melvin.Berger/Drafts/RE:%20[PAGID]%20FW:%20_x003F_%20Granulomatous%20Angiitis.EML/1_multipart/image001.gif>

I would very much appreciate any help that you may provide in the diagnosis and management of this patient.

The patient is a 10 year old East Indian girl with a normal birth. She had some episodes of pharyngitis and gastroenteritis after age 4 months and was hospitalized at age 10 months at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta-Egleston with well-confirmed adenoviral hepatitis. At 19 months in 12/00 she had an episode of IgG auto-immune hemolytic anemia. In 12/03 she had pneumonia and in 3/05 bronchitis and otitis media. She had an ear drum perforation in 5/06 and was diagnosed with asthma in 4/08. In 11/08 she was noted to have growth retardation and nail clubbing. A chest CT showed extensive bronchiectasis. In 1/09 she developed swelling of her left elbow and left ankle associated with tender subcutaneous nodules. An MRI showed lytic lesions in the distal humerus and increased marrow signal in the proximal left radius.

She has had high ESRs (118) and the following additional labs: WBC 4.0: 69% segs, 17% lymphs, 7% monos, 7% eos, Hgb 9.3, platelets 234. IgG 2280, IgA 60, IgM 92, IgE <2, CH50 51. CD4 lymphocytes 27% (absolute ct. 295), CD8 9% (101), CD 19 14% (164), CD 16/56 37% (420). Good responses to PHA and Con A in vitro, normal NK killing in vitro and normal neutrophil oxidative burst. ANCA was negative, ANA + 1:160, ACE 20 (nl). TB skin test negative, and negative routine, fungal and AFB cultures and serologies for Brucella, Bartonella, Histoplasma and HIV.

She has been evaluated at MCG, CHOP and Emory. A biopsy of an elbow soft tissue lesion on 5/11/09 was interpreted by our pathologist as showing necrotizing angiocentric granulomatous inflammation with granulomatous angiitis of small to medium-sized arterioles. A recent bronchoscopy showed signs of chronic bronchial inflammation but no organisms. An abdominal ultrasound showed modest splenomgaly with normal echogenicity and a brain MRI was normal. A recent ophthalmology exam revealed no uveitis or retinal lesions. Attached are photos of the skin lesions and histopathology.

We believe that she has necrotizing sarcoid granulomatosis as described in the following Pub Med articles: PMID 17377369, 12823717, 12784179, 12687600, 10232451, 8092646. However, this is not certain and we are reluctant to immunosuppress this young girl with low lymphocyte numbers if other diagnoses are likely.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Larry

Larry B. Vogler, M.D.

Director, Division of Rheumatology and Immunology

Department of Pediatrics

Emory University

2015 Uppergate Drive

Atlanta, GA 30322

phone: 404-778-2400

fax: 404-727-3757

prohibited.

Visit us at www.UHhospitals.org.

The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee only. University Hospitals and its affiliates disclaim any responsibility for unauthorized disclosure of this information to anyone other than the addressee.

Federal and Ohio law protect patient medical information, including psychiatric_disorders, (H.I.V) test results, A.I.Ds-related conditions, alcohol, and/or drug_dependence or abuse disclosed in this email. Federal regulation (42 CFR Part 2) and Ohio Revised Code section 5122.31 and 3701.243 prohibit disclosure of this information without the specific written consent of the person to whom it pertains, or as otherwise permitted by law.