[PAGID] Unequal Lynonization in a CGD daughter

Dewton Vasconcelos dmvascon at usp.br
Wed Oct 14 13:24:40 EDT 2009

Dear Richard

Despite the fact that frequently we heard about the "myth" that X-CGD
carriers are asymptomatic, we frequently see female patients carrying
one copy of a mutated gp91phox gene presenting atypical deep infections
similar to CGD patients and skin lesions usually described as lupoid.
Nevertheless autoimmune manifestations are not rare and the infections
presented by your patient are not typical of CGD patients (Staph aureus,
Serratia, Burkholderia, enterobacteriaceae, Actinomycetes) and fungi
(Aspergillus, Candida, rarely Acremonium, Scedosporium etc).
Therefore I would think that the infections might be probably related to
proteins (IgG) loss secondary to the proteinuria and the
immunesuppression by corticosteroids and Mycophenolate mofetil.
Certainly a biopsy would be of paramount importance in the elucidation
of the possible (probable) pathogen to direct the therapy.

Best regards,

Dewton Vasconcelos
Univ. of Sao Paulo Medical School