[PAGID] neuro+lung granulomata CVID how long steroids?

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Tue Oct 27 21:14:36 EDT 2009

Dear Dr. Gonzalez

We have some patients presenting severe granulomatous lesions in
several organs. Despite good response to corticosteroids in some
patients, other do not respond well and adverse effects are a
significant drawback.
Initially we thought about using anti-TNF immunobiologicals (there are
some reports of the use of infliximab: Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol.
2005 Sep;95(3):293-300. Clin Exp Immunol. 2007 Nov;150(2):306-11).
After discussion of these manifestations with Dr. Charlotte
Cunningham-Rundles she suggested the use of hydroxychloroquine. We are
using these approach for some patients with severe granulomatous lung
manifestations with good response and mild adverse effects. This
approach could be interesting to spare steroids in your patient.

Best regards,

Dewton Vasconcelos
University of São Paulo