[PAGID] XLA and Spondyoarthritis

tarra002 at gmail.com tarra002 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 22:18:39 EDT 2010

I am a Rheumatologist and AI boarded also. In my CVI cohort with autoimmunity, we use immunosuppression frequently, but I tend to use anti-TNFs the least since I do see increased infections. That being said, the best data for efficacy in AS are the anti-TNFs. I'd start with Humira or Enbrel as a single agent and avoid MTX combination therapy for now due to the rare pulmonary toxicity risks that could confound the clinical picture in an XLA pt with recurrent sinopulmonary infections. I'd avoid Remicade due to the long half life so that if your pt gets infected you can hold the drug more quickly and effectively.

Teresa Tarrant, MD
UNC Rheumatology and Allergy Immunology