[PAGID] (PAGID) Menactra vaccination

Pere Soler Palacin psoler at vhebron.net
Fri May 14 14:22:25 EDT 2010

Dear colleague, we have tried unsuccesfully to use it in our hospital.
Anyway this work from Rezaei from Iran () may be helpful since methods are
well described

Primary antibody deficiencies are characterized by decreased serum levels
of immunoglobulin isotypes and increased susceptibility to infection by
various microorganisms including encapsulated bacteria. This study was
performed in order to evaluate bactericidal antibody response of these
patients to polysaccharide meningococcal vaccine. Twenty-four antibody
deficient children of mean age 11.2+/-3.5 years, and 15 sex and age-matched
healthy volunteers were enrolled. All subjects received meningococcal
polysaccharide vaccine A+C; blood samples were collected before vaccination
and 3 weeks after vaccination. Following vaccination, the serum
bactericidal antibody (SBA) geometric mean titre was significantly
increased compared to the prevaccination level in the patient group (8.98
versus 1.63, Por=4-fold from pre- to post-vaccination), whereas only 16 of
24 patients (66.6%) had a protective response (P=0.014). The non-responder
patients included 5 cases with common variable immunodeficiency, two cases
with hyper IgM syndrome, and one case with IgG subclass deficiency. This
study indicates that some patients with primary antibody deficiencies can
produce protective post-vaccination titres similar to the normal
population, despite the common perception that patients with primary
antibody deficiencies respond poorly to vaccination. This supports the use
of polysaccharide-containing vaccines in these patients. Yours,

Dr. P. Soler Palacín
Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Immunodeficiencies Unit
Vall d'Hebron Hospital
Barcelona, Spain
Tel: 0034934893140
Fax: 0034934893039

On Fri 14/05/10 21:13 , "Kimberly Risma" Kimberly.Risma at cchmc.org sent:
Dear Colleagues, I have a new patient (teenager) that is already on IVIG
that I would like to test for specific response to vaccination. We do not
have access to a neoantigen so I was wondering if anyone ever tried using
the conjugated Meningitis vaccine (Menactra in the U.S.) and measuring pre
and post titers. My rationale is that I would expect absent to minimum
titers in the IVIG preparations. If you have had any success, can you
indicate which lab will measure titers in an informative manner? What age
child have you used this approach? Thanks, Kim

Kimberly Risma MD, PhD
Assistant Professor
Allergy Immunology
Childrens Hospital Medical Center