[PAGID] Helicobacter/Flexispira cellulitis in XLA

raas0027 at umn.edu raas0027 at umn.edu
Wed Jun 16 15:40:37 EDT 2010

Stuart, one thing to consider (now or down the road depending on response
to antibiotics) is pyoderma gangrenosum (PG).

There are a number of case reports of PG in patients with XLA and I have
talked to a few PAGID members who have experience with this.

Ashish Kumar had such a patiet a several years ago. Perhaps similar lesion
to what you are describing. Biopsy cultures grew Psuedomona, staph and
aceinetobacter. Antibiotics for these organisms and empiric antibiotics for
atypical mycobacteria were ineffective. Once PG was entertained, the
patient had dramatic improvement on steroids and mycophenolate.

Maybe not the first thing in your differential but might be important to
have on the list.

Keep us posted!

-Jason

--