[PAGID] Helicobacter/Flexispira cellulitis in XLA. .

Turvey, Stuart sturvey at cw.bc.ca
Thu Jul 1 11:34:43 EDT 2010

Dear Mary-Ellen and PAGID colleagues,

Thank you for your input following my previous post. I am now writing with a brief update.

We admitted the patient last week. His blood culture grew gram negative rods identified as Helicobacter bilis/Flexispira rappini by two different sequencing methods (16S and chaperonin).

We started combination therapy with imipenem, azithromycin and levaquin (as suggested by Mary-Ellen and others) but we have run into a few logistic challenges. Apparently imipenem is too unstable for home iv use and meropenem is a rather expensive alternative (~$80K for 12 months).

The ID team here at our hospital is wondering if there has been success with alternative antibiotic regimens, particularly because this patient lives on a very remote area island in northern British Columbia.

Thank you once again for your support.

Stuart Turvey

Stuart Turvey MB BS DPhil
Associate Professor
Division of Infectious and Immunological Diseases
University of British Columbia
BC Children's Hospital and Child & Family Research Institute
950 West 28 Avenue
Vancouver BC V5Z 4H4
CANADA
Ph: 604 875 2345 x5094