[PAGID] Autoimmune Cytopenia in a 4 month old

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Thu Sep 16 00:57:48 EDT 2010

What is heme-onc saying ?

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Jason W. Caldwell
Sent: Wed 9/15/2010 4:58 PM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: Re: [PAGID] Autoimmune Cytopenia in a 4 month old

COMMENT:

The bone marrow trephine biopsy and clot sections are

normocellular for age (100%). Prominent myeloid hypoplasia is

easily observed. The marrow cellularity consists mostly of

maturing erythroid precursors. Megakaryocytes are slightly

decreased in numbers but their morphology is unremarkable. CD34

immunohistochemistry reveals no increase in blasts. There are no

atypical lymphoid aggregates or granulomas. Prussian blue iron

stain shows markedly decreased iron storage with no ring

sideroblasts.

The bone marrow aspirate smears are remarkable for frequent

dysplastic erythroid precursors with multinucleation, irregular

nuclear outlines and nuclear to cytoplasmic dyssynchrony.

Myeloid hypoplasia is easily identified. Blasts are not

increased. There is no increase in lymphocytes. The peripheral

blood smear shows severe pancytopenia, occasional circulating

nucleated red blood cells. Flow cytometric analysis on a

corresponding marrow sample reveals no increase in blasts.

In summary, prominent myeloid hypoplasia with marked

dyserythropoiesis is identified in this normocellular marrow.

The findings are nonspecific, but may be seen as a secondary

myelodysplastic syndrome due to congenital or acquired bone

marrow failure disorders, autoimmune disorder, Rheumatic disease,

metabolic disorder, drug/toxin exposure, infections or vitamin

deficiency. Correlation with clinical and cytogenetic/molecular

findings is recommended.

Jason W. Caldwell DO

Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

Section Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy, and Immunological Diseases

Wake Forest University School of Medicine

Medical Center Boulevard

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, 27157

Office Phone: 336-716-1250